The Great Wave Off Kanagawa Ukiyo-e Essentials Kit
The 'woodblocks' and essential tools you need to experience 'Ookiyo' - a modern interpretation of traditional woodblock printing. Create your own classic Japanese print by perfecting the art of colour mixing and hand printing, and have a surprisingly relaxing afternoon!
This kits contains 3D printed reproductions of the woodblock designs that Katsushika Hokusai used to create the Great Wave Off Kanagawa. Learn how this iconic print was made by experiencing the process step by step.
The 3D printed woodblocks included are the same ones we use for our workshops, with proper care, they are reusable for many impressions.
Final size of image is approx: W 285mm x H 205mm
- Sky colour
- Light water colour
- Medium water colour
- Fish hanging off the boats
- Clouds (overprinted onto sky)
- Final black outline/dark water colour and signature
Each kit contains:
- 7 x 3D printed 'woodblocks' = 7 colours.
- 4 x sheets of 300g/m2 watercolour paper suitable for printing an image with a wide boarder, great for framing. 410mm x 310mm
- 1 x baren, tool for applying pressure to transfer the paint to paper.
- 4 x flat sided sponges to apply paint
- A4 size stiff card to even out printing pressure
- Online instructional video can be found on the Ukiyo-e Kit page
- Acrylic paints
- Ice cream sticks, paint brush or similar for mixing colours
- A plastic tray or work surface that you can attach the plates to
- Masking tape
- Artist's pallet or an old dinner plate for mixing colours